In 2007-2008, Christoph Rehage walked through China in one year covering 4500 km (2796 miles). He let his hair and beard grow and took regular photos of himself. This is the resulting video along with original notes from Christoph below he included in his journaling.
- I never finished my original goal of walking to Germany. Instead, I walked for a year and roughly 4500km, passed the Gobi desert, and then decided to stop walking for now.
- All of the distance from Beijing to Ürümqi was completed solely on foot, straight good old walking. There are instances where you can see me in the video sitting on a plane or riding a boat, but those are during breaks I had to take from walking, either to sort out bureaucracy issues or to take care of some personal things.
- I had been planning this trip for over a year before I even started, and getting as far as I got was an experience for which I am very grateful.
- Obtaining the necessary visa for a trip like this was not very easy, hence I had to go back to Beijing a few times to resolve some issues.
- This is not a strict “1 pic a day” video because I wanted to make it a bit more alive by adding some additional movement. Sometimes during the film, you would follow me turn around, or something would happen in the background. I tried to capture these moments to make the video more interesting.