Children have been the biggest victims in Syria’s six-year war

Syria’s six-year war has taken a terrible toll on the country’s children, especially those who have been separated from their families, a senior UNICEF official told Reuters on Wednesday (March 15).

Furthermore, as well as the large number of direct casualties from warfare, many more children have died or suffered from indirect consequences of the crisis including a collapse in healthcare, according to UNICEF regional director for the Middle East and North Africa, Geert Cappelaere, who just spent three days visiting Damascus, Homs and Aleppo.

UNICEF, the United Nation’s agency focusing on children, issued a report on Monday on the war in Syria, which began after protests six years ago against President Bashar al-Assad.

In its report, UNICEF said it had documented the deaths of 652 children last year, 20 percent more than in 2015. But Cappelaere said that represented only a small proportion of the real number of deaths.

(Reuters)

 
 
 
RECOMMENDED ARTICLE

China Takes Back Its Panda, in Secret Soft Power Plot

China Takes Back Its Panda, in Secret Soft Power Plot
READ MORE >
 
 

North Korea Warns of ‘Merciless Strike’ Ahead of Upcoming US-South Korea Military Drills

North Korea Warns of ‘Merciless Strike’ Ahead of Upcoming US-South Korea Military Drills
North Korea warned on Sunday, Aug. 20 that upcoming military exercises between the U.S and South Korea could ...
READ MORE >
 

7-year-old Julian Cadman Confirmed as Victim in Barcelona Terror Attack

7-year-old Julian Cadman Confirmed as Victim in Barcelona Terror Attack
  It has been confirmed that 7-year-old Australian boy, Julian Cadman, was killed during the Barcelona terrorist attack ...
READ MORE >
 

1,320 Vladimir Lenin Statues, 1,000 Soviet Monuments Removed in Ukraine: Report

1,320 Vladimir Lenin Statues, 1,000 Soviet Monuments Removed in Ukraine: Report
  Ukraine has removed all 1,320 statues of Vladimir Lenin, the first Soviet dictator, following a government campaign ...
READ MORE >
 

Barcelona Van Attack Suspect May Have Crossed Into France: Spanish Police

Barcelona Van Attack Suspect May Have Crossed Into France: Spanish Police
BARCELONA, Spain (Reuters) - Spanish police hunting for a suspect after the Barcelona van attack that killed 13 ...
READ MORE >
 

Dine at the Michelin 3-Star Cantonese Restaurant One of 4 in the World

Dine at the Michelin 3-Star Cantonese Restaurant One of 4 in the World
Hong Kong, a tightly packed metropolis, has a whopping 14,000 restaurants! Hard to pick one? Go around and ...
READ MORE >