Secret Service stopped attempted White House intrusion, says Spicer

PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — The White House said Saturday that an individual was apprehended after jumping a low metal barrier just outside the White House fence, a week after an intrusion raised questions about lapses in security under the watch of the U.S. Secret Service.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer wrote on Twitter that the individual “jumped bike rack on Pennsylvania Ave” but did not make it onto White House property.

Spicer added, “Great response by @SecretService.”

President Donald Trump was not at the White House on Saturday. He and his family are spending the weekend at his resort in Palm Beach, Florida.

The Secret Service said in a statement that the individual jumped over the bike rack in an apparent attempt to get to the White House fence.

“The individual was immediately apprehended by United States Secret Service Uniformed Division Officers before reaching the White House fence,” the statement said, adding that criminal charges are pending.

The incident comes about a week after a man breached a 5-foot outer perimeter fence and scaled an 8-foot vehicle gate to gain entry to the White House grounds.

Video surveillance footage shows Jonathan Tuan Tran, 26, of Milpitas, California, climbing the fence near the Treasury Department adjacent to the White House security fence and making his way to a south entrance, the criminal complaint said. Tran, who the Secret Service said was carrying two cans of Mace, is charged with entering restricted grounds while carrying a dangerous weapon and faces up to 10 years in prison.

Trump was inside the executive mansion at the time. He praised the Secret Service for doing a “fantastic job” apprehending a “troubled person.”

Jason Chaffetz, the chairman of the House Oversight Committee, told CNN on Friday that Tran was able to “look through” a White House window and roam the grounds undetected for 17 minutes while Trump was inside. Chaffetz called the incident a “complete and utter total failure.”

The Secret Service stressed that the intruder never made it inside White House. The agency said it was still investigating and had put additional security posts, technology enhancements and new response protocols into place.

It was the first known security breach at the White House since Trump took office two months ago.

Similar lapses occurred during the eight years that Barack Obama was president. In September 2014, an Army veteran with mental health issues scaled a fence on the Pennsylvania Avenue side of the White House and made it deep inside the building, to the East Room, before the Secret Service could detain him. The Obamas were not at home at the time.

The incident was one of several breakdowns by the Secret Service that ultimately led to the resignation of the agency’s director, Julia Pierson, the following month.

Trump has to find someone new to lead the agency. Joseph Clancy, a former agent who came out of retirement to succeed Pierson, announced his second retirement last month.

 
 
 
RECOMMENDED ARTICLE

Rescuing turtles from ghost net

Rescuing turtles from ghost net
READ MORE >
 
 

Forest fires in Spain force mass evacuations

Forest fires in Spain force mass evacuations
Spanish police had to wake people up to tell them to leave their homes on the night of ...
READ MORE >
 

More violence in Venezuela at protest over shooting

More violence in Venezuela at protest over shooting
Demonstrators marched to Venezuelan military bases on June 24 to protest the shooting of a young demonstrator; the ...
READ MORE >
 

Runners compete in the Gobi March desert crossing

Runners compete in the Gobi March desert crossing
Up for a challenge? How about a seven-day race across a desert? The Gobi March is part of ...
READ MORE >
 

Japanese cat lover tours country with a load of Persian kitties

Japanese cat lover tours country with a load of Persian kitties
Masahiko Suga, a 56-year-old electronics company retiree in Japan, rose to internet fame in 2014 by taking his ...
READ MORE >
 

Beauty Queen Makes Shock Comment on How She Was Treated

Beauty Queen Makes Shock Comment on How She Was Treated
Anastasia Lin, the beauty queen and human rights advocate against mass organ harvesting carried out by the Chinese ...
READ MORE >