Two men planning an imminent and violent attack were arrested on April 18 in Marseille, France.
They intended to launch the attack right before the French presidential election on April 23.
“These two radicalised men, born in 1987 and 1993 respectively, of French nationality, intended to commit in the very short-term—by that I mean in the coming days—an attack on French soil,” said French Interior Minister Matthias Fekl.
The two men turned to radical Islam during a term in prison, a police source said.
A search of a rented apartment was underway.
Fekl said security surrounding the elections and the candidates had been strengthened.