NASA says Mars megarocket will start with unmanned test

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP)—NASA says the test flight of its new megarocket will fly without a crew.

In February at the request of the White House, NASA began studying the feasibility of putting astronauts on the first flight. After evaluating the cost and risk, the space agency decided against it.

NASA Acting Administrator Robert Lightfoot informed employees of the decision Friday.

Still in development, the super-sized rocket is meant to eventually send astronauts to Mars. The first launch had been targeted for next year, but is now off until 2019.

Earlier this week, NASA reported that a section of test hardware was damaged during manufacturing in New Orleans. No one was injured in the May 3 mishap. But the bottom dome for a liquid oxygen tank was ruined. NASA is investigating.

 
 
 
 
 
US

President Trump embarks on first international trip

President Trump embarks on first international trip
President Trump is embarking on his first foreign trip on May 19. He will be visiting the Middle ...
READ MORE >
 
US

Time Square driver charged with murder

Time Square driver charged with murder
The man who drove a car into pedestrians in Times Square was charged with murder late Thursday. Richard ...
READ MORE >
 
US

Tornadoes touch down in Oklahoma and Texas

Tornadoes touch down in Oklahoma and Texas
Tornado—the word is synonymous with chaos and destruction. No one wants to hear that a twister is touching ...
READ MORE >
 

U.S. preparing campaigns to wipe IS out of Middle East

U.S. preparing campaigns to wipe IS out of Middle East
WASHINGTON (AP) — The United States is looking ahead toward a decisive battleground in its bid to destroy ...
READ MORE >
 

China Takes Back Its Panda, in Secret Soft Power Plot

China Takes Back Its Panda, in Secret Soft Power Plot
We've watched the Chinese panda, Bao Bao, go from an adorable cub to a full grown adult. But ...
READ MORE >