A toddler has died after being left in a hot car during the brutal summer heat of Las Vegas—another addition to the growing list of hot-car deaths, despite police warnings.
The boy was identified as Chase Lee by the Clark County Coroner’s Office on Sunday. He was from Fillmore, Utah, FOX 5 reports.
His official cause of death remains pending, as a toxicology report is still in progress.
The 3-year-old boy was found on July 15 in the afternoon around 4:50 pm in a car at the hotel Grandview in Las Vegas. Police said he was found suffering from heat-related injuries after being left in a car by his parents.
The temperature on that day soared to highs of 113 degrees in Las Vegas.
Police say that the temperatures inside a hot car with closed windows can reach up to 170 degrees.
Lt. Roger Price from the Las Vegas Metro Police Special Victims unit told FOX 5 that the parents of the boy left him in the car for over an hour inside the hotel’s parking lot.
When the parents eventually found out they had left the boy behind, it was already too late.
Authorities said it appeared that boy was part of a family reunion involving relatives from all over the country. In the midst of the reunion with so many relatives and children, the boy was forgotten.
Price added that there were around 12 children who were at the gathering.
On the same day, another toddler died after being left in a hot car in Florida.
Police say the boy could have been left in the car for hours and are still investigating the incident, FOX 6 reports.