The dangers of cellphone fires have gotten a lot of publicity recently, but they may not be as rare as one would think. Recently, an NYPD officer posted 4 separate incidences of cell phones catching fire on the 33rd Precinct Twitter feed as a warning about the potential hazards of cellphone fires.
With all the shocking stories about cellphones catching fire recently, many of us have now been made aware of just how incredibly dangerous cellphone batteries can be—many of us have seen videos showing how they can overheat to the point of exploding! Although we may think that such instances are fairly rare occurrences, it turns out, cellphones overheating to the point of causing combustion may not be as uncommon as we first thought.
Smartphones have become so integrated into people’s lives that it seems some people can’t put them away—even after they go to bed. There are people who sleep with their smart phones in their bed (does anyone else find this weird?) or under their pillow.
— NYPD 33rd Precinct (@NYPD33Pct) 16. February 2016
Photo: Twitter / NYPD 33rd Precinct
But it turns out this might not be such a smart idea after all. Recently, Wilson Arambole of the 33rd Precinct of the NYPD posted 4 photos depicting 4 separate incidences of charging cellphones that caught fire in bed, while their owners were sleeping, resulting in scorched pillows, linen and mattresses; though it could have easily done harm to the owners too!
Apparently, the fires were caused by the heat generated by a charging device with limited air circulation, which caused a buildup of heat.
And these are by no means just a few isolated incidents; it’s become a nation-wide fire hazard.
A man from Alabama was recently treated for second and third-degree burns after being electrocuted by his charging phone while sleeping.
Perhaps we may want to reevaluate our collective addiction to devices. Honestly, what’s more important, your face or Facebook?