This year’s winner is Gabriel Barathieu who captured a stunning image of an octopus swimming in a lagoon on the island of Mayotte. Gabriel Barathieu beat competitors from 67 different countries. Have a look at these superb photographs from among the best Underwater Photographers in the world–they will stun you with their beauty and artistry.
1. A dancing octopus skims in between the bottom of the ocean floor and the surface
2. The stunning and luminous larval lionfish creates a beautiful fan shape
3. A whale calf poses for a photograph, calmly checking out the photographer
4. The last flight–the resting place of this plane is captured in eerie, murky waters
5. Prey? A luminous creature spies something to eat
6. Incredible drops of water that look like floating beads
7. Mother and baby green turtles gliding through the sea
8. A prehistoric imp of darkness
9. A highly decorative Medusa Blenny on the lookout
10. This seal glides effortlessly, may I help you?
11. An incredible journey in and out of the blue
These underwater photos show us a beautiful underworld–a marvelous place of water, creatures and colors. Simone Jonker